This note provides a summary of the workshop’s findings and recommendations for policy makers. A more detailed report of the workshop, together with copies of the presentations made at the workshop can be found here.
- 1.3 billion people worldwide have no access to electricity.
- 3 billion people are still cooking with dangerous and inefficient stoves.
- Policy frameworks should support ‘home-grown’ enterprises providing energy access.
- Evaluative frameworks should be used to access the outcomes of energy schemes.
- Closer links should be developed between universities and the SMEs in the field.
- National champions for smart villages should be appointed within government.